Monday, June 22, 2009

Friendly Fajitas


Alayna called me to tell me to come home because she was having a dinner party but sadly I had to tell her I was on the LIRR headed to a house with a pool and secret hiding closets.

Still I was sad I missed it. And I was REALLY sad when I saw these pictures. How good does this look? Mexican & Vegetarian wonders!

By the way, sorry I have to interject. Are Alayna and I the only ones on earth who watch "I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here?" We started watching because all the shows we used to watch during soup night had their season finales. I just want to give a shout out right now to Holly and Sanjaya. My new all time favorite couple. I'm not kidding. I think Holly might be kicked off because she can't drink the Dung Beetle Nut daiquiri that fast and Alayna can testify that I'm sort of teary-eyed.

Right. This meal is NOT made of Dung Beetle Nuts. So there's that.
Okay friends, lets eat!



AMAZING FAJITAS OF AMAZINGNESS (AKA PORTOBELLA MUSHROOMS)
  • first wrap your tortillas (the big kind) in a slightly damp, clean dishtowel and heat the oven to 250, popping them in on a cookie sheet, so that they get warm without getting dry
  • slice up 6-8 cloves of garlic and coarsely chop about half a red onion and saute in olive oil, adding a couple of red (hot) peppers, chili powder, AND, the secret ingredient, a couple of shakes of CINNAMON
  • add a sliced up zucchini, cut into 1/2s or 1/4s and cover pot (keep covered through-out)
  • add about 3 mushrooms (I keep everything but the very end of the stem) cut into pinky width slices
  • add in half a pepper each of red, yellow and green (or any combination)
  • once everything is cooked through, take out your tortillas and serve with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and the guac!


GUACAMOLEEEE
  • cut two avocados into fourths, then slice the fourths and pop the avocado out into a bowl
  • finely dice 4-6 cloves of garlic and throw in
  • finely dice about 2 pinky-wide rings of red onion and toss them in too!
  • do the same to about 1/2 a red pepper
  • and some plum or cherry tomatoes
  • toss in some coarsely chopped cilantro while you're at it (some people... eg, Bagel, dislike cilantro... apparently it can taste like soap to people with certain genes, so you might want to get a gene check on your guests before they come)
  • squeeze the juice from 2 limes into your bowl
  • add some salt and pepper
  • now MASH! or make your nearest available, most hyper-est guest do it if you are too lazy to cook before people get to your house because you are a collaborative person who like sharing in the experience, as well as the food ;)


PLATANOS MADUROS
  • get the blackest plantains you can find (the blacker they are, the sweeter, which means more caramelized awesomeness)
  • slice into pointer finger thickness, and place into the frying pan of olive oil while the oil heats up
  • flip fairly frequently so that they don't get burnt and take out when they're a nice golden brown (or black for more carmelizyness)
  • can be served plain, or with fresh goat cheese. both are delicious. one is fancier.


Oooh, Alayna, nice plate!

3 comments:

  1. YESSS I was waiting for Alayna's amazing guac recipe! I can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like some good guac. I like to put chili powder, ground red pepper (spicy), red pepper flakes and/or chopped jalapeno, and a splash of soy sauce in mine too. Everyone's got their own recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right i HATE cilantro! I love it when Alayna makes me special guac that is FREE of the devil herb!

    ReplyDelete